Saturday, March 8, 2008

Time For A Bigger Boat

Last night Alex, Radley (my brother) and I went to the Troubadour to see D.Spirit. For all the time we spend in each others company I realized I haven't seen my pals play a proper gig for months so I felt it time I came out and showed my support. I'm not sure who got scratched off the list to make room for me plus one but I'm grateful. It was a shame to see the pretty girls outside that showed up to late to buy a ticket after they sold out. Clearly the band will soon be suited for a bigger venue. The room was packed in from wall to wall and luckily one of the first persons I ran into was our dear old friend Nathan whom you know from his fantastic new band We Barbarians. It was really a joy to see him and we got all caught up over a few drinks and reminisced with old tour stories and things. Lots of cheers laughs and smiles later the band came on to every ones warm welcome. I recall Matt days before saying something about doing a version of Louis Armstrong's "St.James Infirmary Blues" and naturally they opened the show with just that. You know the band is stellar so I will spare everyone the in depth show review. It was tough to move around downstairs so I retreated to the upstairs area where I could watch the show and enjoy a cigarette at the same time. I met a couple nice guys from Port O'Brien and ate a few vegetables while I chatted with Jessica Dobsin. Shes got a cool band called Deep Sea Diver that you should check out if you havent yet had the chance. After the show we all ended up in the bar and then outside. I had a few smokes and a nice conversation with the charming Caleb and Jacob of My Pet Saddle and got to see my brother Mikey Brixx. I'm sorry I'm missing your show Mike but its my brothers birthday and I'm getting ready to go out for ice cream with him. We made our way to a place that is quite possibly one of the most genius bars in LA, Alex and I have decided. I shouldn't mention the name but the bar tender is quick witted Italian and at times they have even let us smoke inside and stay after hours and they make a first class cappuccino. It was a good night and I think I promised to be three places at once to three different people and genuinely somehow thought that was possible. At the time it seemed like it was anyways. Today I watched Ronin twice and ate two pizzas and I realized this morning I forgot to eat yesterday, minus a handful of vegetables from the bands little platter. "Everybody love everybody"- Jackie Moon said that. Good Night.

-Kyle Half Awake

No comments: